What would you do if your partner left in order to fix themselves?

If you were in a relationship with someone that was having a lot of personal problems, and they finally push them over the line, what would you do if they left, but only for the purpose of rebuilding themselves?
"I'm bringing you and the both of us down with what's wrong with me in my life. I need space and time to get my shit together. It's not you." Now say you break up, and how ever long down the road, weather months or maybe even a year you meet up again, and they're totally on the right track. They're completely in a better place. And the tingle is still there when you see them. Would you give it another shot, or do you leave your past behind completely?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd give it another shot, that's very noble of them to realize that they are bringing you down so to sacrifice their happiness for yours shows that they care a lot

0|0
    0|0
    • That's exactly what I thought too. Loving someone also means letting them go, but that doesn't mean you can't come back together at some point. I asked a friend the same question, and she said "I'd never date you again, because I leave my past behind me." I got granular with her and said "what if that person was completely happy, and everything was resolved? Does anything that person did hold any merit what so ever? She said she didn't know.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• Well I love my partner immensely and if he felt like he needed to help himself (and I genuinely believed it, it wasn't just a lame excuse to break up) by being single then I'd probably support him by leaving him, after I'd offered to help him whilst we stayed together. However, I don't think I could understand why he'd need to be single to fix himself, we could just have more space between each other. It'd sound more like he wanted to sleep around.

0|0
    0|0
  • Leave because if she loved u and thought u were the one then u being around would make her happy my boy has problems sometimes I make him hippy by bein there and helping him fix she obvs thinks ur not makin her happy or helping her with anything and perhaps she thinks ur causing her stress so she has left u and there's no point waiting for her to come back x

0|0
    0|0
  • This is exactly where I am right now in my life too ironically enough... damn. Bad timing. But I'm also stuck in a situation where the guy needs time and has to fix himself before he can commit. It's a difficult position to be in... I truly like this guy as well. What I've decided is to put everything on hold, give this person their space and carry on with my life. If in the future he comes back, then I'll see where I'm at then and consider. It's difficult to say what things will be like in the future. I don't know if it's possible to put someone completely behind you but what you can do is to distance yourself and give yourself time to heal. If it's meant to be I'm sure it will be... if they come back then you cross that bridge when you get there. Till then you treat it as any break up, try your best to move on and try to find someone else when you are feeling ready again.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would give it another shot if it happened to work out that way, but don't stay in contact in the meantime.

0|0
    0|0
  • My ex has something similar like that he couldn't put time in for me or relationship. Always made excuses and acted like he was to busy. But I mean if they have to give themselves time to figure themselves out then I would say leave them. I wouldn't put my call on hold just for them to figure themselves out. And I also learned something else its not always good to go back to an old love it's better to just move on. I gave it another shot but it didn't turn out to well. He just chewed me up and spit me out. I would just move on and leave the past behind me. If they have to try to figure themselves out in a relationship then let them go.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't go back. Even though they need to get it together, you can't wait or even leave because in your head you're still waiting. Even not being with them you're closing yourself off from other romantic adventures. You could walk away and meet someone amazing tomorrow, but be so caught up on your partner who has issues to deal with that you push the other person away. When I leave, I leave for good, it's better that way.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't disagree, but what if there are I encounters in between that time you desperate and the time you run back I to each other. And when you do, it's completely different? You have to opportunity to have them the way you intended in the first place. Do you still reject them on principal?

• *no encounters

What Guys Said 2

• If they have to leave to straighten things out, you need to let them go. I would not try prevent someone from trying to improve themselves, even if that meant a break up/break. There is no guarantee they will come back. I would live my life to the best of my ability. If they came back and every was great, I would love to try again, no problem. But, I will also not put my life on hold while they are out trying to find themselves. Again, no guarantee they will come back. So in the mean time, if I met someone else and it was working out great, no, I would not go back to my ex.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never go back to exes no matter the reason of breakup.

0|1
    0|0
    • Wow very dogmatic

• No, it's completely legit. Why would I go back to a person I broke up with, or who broke up with me? It happened because it didn't work out.

Even if it was because one had to "fix themselves" I would have lost all intrest after that long time, ad if it didn't take a long time, why break up in the first place?

• It mght be worth noting that if I have lost the spark with someone I don't regain it again later.

Recommended myTakes