How do I tell My boyfriend of a year and a half that we are done?

So my bf and I have been going strong for a year and 1/2 but I don't think either of us is "in love". He is a good guy whom I hope to keep as a friend but how do I tell him that as much as I care for him his is not "the one"?

53

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I think your last sentence is the best way to go. Don't delay the situation. Don't even wait until you see him next if it's not going to be tomorrow or later today/tonight. I would just go on an do it right now if you can. I don't believe in putting something like this off. There's never a good time to break up with someone or even a good way. Maybe a better way but not the best way (if that makes sense).

Definitely don't even push the friend thing (I honestly wouldn't even mention it). That's just upsetting. Be honest and very clear but don't be brutal. Just tell him exactly how you feel and let him know things are definitely over.

What Guys Said 3

• Let's face it you are only asking us because it makes you uncomfortable. There's no other way than to tell him. Break ups are always uncomfortable, i know, but unless you want to spend the rest of your life with him you have to tell him. And don't force trying to be friends, it'll only make things harder on him. Give him space if he needs it and if he wants to be friends, with time, he'll come around.

• Give him a girly makeover in his sleep and then leave a note that your leaving him and then leave

• There's no "how" about it. Just do it!

What Girls Said 4

• Just get it out. If you're too sweet, you're sending mixed signals. I'm not sure how your relationship is but a sit down and "rip the band-aid off method" is usually a good way to go. Also, I think the "I still want to be friends" line is upsetting. When he finally calms down and starts to get over you, then if you guys decide that a friendship can still happen, let it happen. Go with the flow. Don't push for being great friends again before either of you are ready. Good luck!

• Just explain how you feel and that you want to just be friends and don't want to lose him as a friend.

• I don't understand what's so hard about breaking up
    Just say that you don't love him anymore

• that last sentence basically