Being friends with an ex. Is it possible?

Though things ended on a bad note we got along so well when we were together, does anyone think that with time apart we could become friends?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• It's certainly possible. One of my exes is one of my best friends some 14 years after our relationship ended.

I don't think there's a playbook to make this happen. It depends on things like who was hurt and how badly, what you admired and respected about each other independent of your romantic and sexual feelings, what you believe the other person can still offer you as a friend, and so on.

What Guys Said 2

• Of course, both of you will get over this eventually. I'm a good friend and confident for all my past girlfriends.

• Depends on the person. One of my exes works where I do and I avoid her because I don't want her to get any ideas about rekindling the relationship that ended better than 10 years ago.

What Girls Said 4

• Yes but it depends on why your relationship ended badly in the first place. Time apart gives both parties a chance to cool off and look at things from a different perspective. I'm going through the same thing right now. About 4 years ago my boy friend/ best friend and I had a really bad breakup and we stopped contacting each other for 3-4 years (being away in college in different countries helped) Recently we've started talking again and though things are still a little awkward, the fact that we still know what the other is thinking without having to say anything, made me realised how much I missed him as a friend and this is what motivates me to try to repair our friendship and the same goes for him.

• I think it is if you broke up on good terms. I mean you both would still care about each other just wouldn't be in love with each other.

• its possible

• If it ended badly, don't try to be friends.