How long on average does it take to get over the first heart break?

I broke up with my boyfriend of a year and a half a few days ago and honestly it was because i knew that he wasn't the right one and there were a few things missing. I knew he didn't deserve to be with someone who had doubts because he is a great man, so i broke things off. I hated hurting him he is a great guy who did nothing wrong and honestly i have never cried harder even though i knew it was the right choice... but it surprised me when I hurt a lot to after and i was wondering if this is normal to hurt if you are the person to do the breaking up and how long does it last?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• My ex did what you did, but she was with another guy right after. It was my first, took me about 6 months.. but I guess depends on your definition of getting over. I was over her, but I am still impacted by things that happened in the relationship. today about a year later.

What Guys Said 1

• It took maybe a year, year and a half for her to fade from my daily thoughts. Another 3 to 4 before I was able to see her without any negative feelings.

What Girls Said 1

• I read somewhere that it is roughly half the length of the relationship. While you can get over it and date again, sometimes you haven't really moved on. To me it seems about right. But I have had some rather long relationships. Like one that was close to ten years off and on. Yes I have had meaningful relationships during off times and since the true last break up. But since it's only been a year am I completely over him? As in not remembering him when I hear songs, or pass our hangouts and occasionally still get down about the death of it. No, but it gets better with time I will say.