Is It Really Rude to Ignore my ex?

She broke up with me, I tried to get her back, she said no, and I have been taking the high road ever since. We had some period of NC, but when I saw her again, I was cordial. She was also cordial, but not warm.

She later turned cold when she found out that I was dating other girls (nothing serious, but why would she care if she dumped me!). I still maintained the high road and kept smiling and saying hello.

However, this is a person who has hurt me and has proven to be resentful of me because it appears that I moved on before she did. I wanted her back for the longest time, but she never came back.

Is it really the "right" thing to continue to take the high road and be all smiley and friendly with someone like this? It complicated that we are somewhat in the same circle, but I sometimes I feel like a fool beyond cordial and civil with someone who wants nothing to do with me.

Would it be really petty for me to simply ignore completely the next time I see her? No eye contact, no smile, no nodding of the head, zero.
Thanks for the responses. Honestly, I don't think I can ignore her. There are still some residual feelings there. I will probably smile and nod, but not approach her.

34

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that she should understand if you're not yet comfortable being around her, since she broke up with you and hurt you. Yes, she may regret it, but she made a choice... Right? It would be ideal to be polite and civil, but don't give her the wrong idea. Unless you want to get back with her, but aren't you dating other girls now? Move on. It's in the past. She should too. You'll just end up hurting both of you more.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I am not dating anyone now. I think part of the reason she does not want to be too friendly to me is that she does not want to give me the impression that she wants to get back with me. I think she should have never offered friendship if she didn't mean it. Thanks for the response.

Most Helpful Guy

• In my opinion, intentionally ignoring her or acting out of character when in her presence would signal that you are simply not over her. If I were you, I would not go out of my way to interact with her, but I would certainly not avoid it. I would merely continue to convey that I'm unmoved by her.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • yes... hence a simple nod and smile... nothing else.