Is It Really Rude to Ignore my ex?

She broke up with me, I tried to get her back, she said no, and I have been taking the high road ever since. We had some period of NC, but when I saw her again, I was cordial. She was also cordial, but not warm.

She later turned cold when she found out that I was dating other girls (nothing serious, but why would she care if she dumped me!). I still maintained the high road and kept smiling and saying hello.

However, this is a person who has hurt me and has proven to be resentful of me because it appears that I moved on before she did. I wanted her back for the longest time, but she never came back.

Is it really the "right" thing to continue to take the high road and be all smiley and friendly with someone like this? It complicated that we are somewhat in the same circle, but I sometimes I feel like a fool beyond cordial and civil with someone who wants nothing to do with me.

Would it be really petty for me to simply ignore completely the next time I see her? No eye contact, no smile, no nodding of the head, zero.
Updates:
Thanks for the responses. Honestly, I don't think I can ignore her. There are still some residual feelings there. I will probably smile and nod, but not approach her.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that she should understand if you're not yet comfortable being around her, since she broke up with you and hurt you. Yes, she may regret it, but she made a choice... Right? It would be ideal to be polite and civil, but don't give her the wrong idea. Unless you want to get back with her, but aren't you dating other girls now? Move on. It's in the past. She should too. You'll just end up hurting both of you more.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I am not dating anyone now. I think part of the reason she does not want to be too friendly to me is that she does not want to give me the impression that she wants to get back with me. I think she should have never offered friendship if she didn't mean it. Thanks for the response.

Most Helpful Guy

• In my opinion, intentionally ignoring her or acting out of character when in her presence would signal that you are simply not over her. If I were you, I would not go out of my way to interact with her, but I would certainly not avoid it. I would merely continue to convey that I'm unmoved by her.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • yes... hence a simple nod and smile... nothing else.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• No its not rude. She broke up with you what is she expecting. You to have a big smile on you face everytime you see her. What are you sapost to be happy to see her. Really i dont know what goes through people head sometimes. You dont have to hate her. But if you dont want to be around her that should be fine. I would even tell her. She should even be fine with that to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just because we might feel different ways, change our minds, etc., does not mean we must hate one another. Someday you will likely change your mind and also break up with someone. When the wrong person leaves, they did the other party a favor.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• It kind of souinds like you are going out of your way to flaunt your new life to her, stop going out of your way, yes be cordial be an adult about it but don't try too hard. If you and her have the same circle of friends then I can see why you are going to be seeing a lot of her.

0|0
    0|0
  • You owe her nothing and if she was ex, I wouldn't want to speak to her either especially with such shoddy treatment on her part.

Tell her to take a hike and carry on living a drama free life.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's not rude to ignore your ex.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes