My ex wants to be friends after we just broke up? Says it's his way of seeing if things will work out. Is he over me?

My ex and I just broke up he says he needs space. After a few days he contacted me saying he wants to be friends... saying he misses me and this is his way of seeing if things will work out. He also said he is moving next to me in our complex. He had been living with me but moved out since we were fighting then he broke up with me saying he needs to figure out his life. He seems confused. Why would he want to live next door to me? Do you think he's over the relationship?

01