Is your ex wanting to hang out as "friends" a bunch of crap?

I don't buy the "I don't want to go out anymore but I want to stay friends" crap. I have never wanted to stay friends with an ex soon after a break up, esp if I broke it off, unless I was unsure of my decision or wanted to use him as a cushion, which I've never done. I think this is manipulation to keep you around in case they change their mind. Thoughts?

14

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe. But no one said you have to take them back. I'm friends with one of my exes and at first I thought she was manipulating me so she could date whoever and come back to me when things didn't work out and in all honesty she may still be doing that but do I care? No not really. You only feel like your being manipulated when you feel like there in control and your not. She could come groveling back tonight and I could look her in the face and say no if I wanted too. I'm still in control of my actions and I can date whoever I want. Why? because we're just friends. A lot of people take the whole lets just be friends thing personally and place themselves on the inferior end if the stick. But hey just because your in there friendzone doesn't mean your in everyone else's and you can do whatever you want while your just friends. If you feel like he's manipulating you it's because your still staying hooked on and committed to him instead of moving on and meeting some new people. Being just friends isn't a consolation prize it's just a different way to enjoy the same person. That is if you can get over the pain of breaking up and you still want them around.