How long to get over a breakup?

How long does it take to get over a breakup if you have been with a girl for about a year?

Say I was to throw away everything I got from her, delete everything I have of her on my phone/laptop and never see her again. How long would it take to fully recover and be 'normal' again?

How do people manage to get over the 'alone' feeling that they get when they are not in a relationship and that though at the back of your head telling you, you will not find anyone again?

Please don't suggest a rebound or drinking till I pass out, thanks.

52

Most Helpful Girl

• Well as of right now I'm trying to get over a relationship too. But in my past experience the first guy I ever loved and was in a committed relationship with it took me a long time to get over him. I had to move across the country and I still couldn't get over him... then again I never tried to forget about him or put him out of my mind. If it helps it was around four years ago that we broke up and we are now great friends... It doesn't stay that way forever, what honestly did help me get over him though was moving on to a new relationship. Not a rebound but an actual new relationship with someone who could make me happy in the ways I needed. It took me like 6 months before I was able to move on enough to get into a new relationship but the new guy made me forget about my ex entirely...

• Hmm, that can work but I am done with relationships. They are simply a waste of time that eill only bring pain at the end of the road which I am not going to risk doing anymore, for a few years anyway.

Thanks for your input though.

What Girls Said 4

• Its gonna take maybe months? We are different but It hurts like bitch

• Like a day

• A Few months at least

• You try to do all possible to forget them I never been in an actuall relationship but that dosent mean I don't know what it's like to not be hurt by someone else,
    If you have deep feelings it takes months even years

What Guys Said 2

• I'm in the same boat man. I have been staying active like hanging with friends and all but somehow she still pops up in the back of my mind. I've deleted all pictures and everything that would reminded me of her. Apparently my apt needs to be the next thing that goes lol. I would suggest getting into another relationship, seems to be working for my ex. Everything happens for a reason and im a strong believer in that

• I think I learnt my lesson and will not be getting into another relationship for a few years now because the cycle will probably just repeat itself. But yeah I think we are just going to have to wait month to get over it... quite annoying.

• It could be weeks, months, or possibly a year. It really depends on the depth in which you care about her and how close you were to her that will likely determine how quickly you get over her.