My ex won't let me move on, why is he doing this?

My ex broke up with me almost 2 months ago because he is dealing with a difficult divorce and is depressed and broke - it was actually kind of mutual, the timing was just bad. Two weeks after the break up, he has been contacting me and meddling a bit, wanting to hang out, invited me to a party, etc. I feel like he knows we can't be together but he doesn't want to let me go. I this is very selfish. Thoughts? And what should I do?

40

Most Helpful Girl

• I think he is unsure of his feelings for you as a lover.. He is more focus on himself rather than you... Maybe he just wanted a friend to lean on in times of hardships like that, to forget and try to move on with his life by being with you to take away or mask his loneliness but it doesn't mean he wants to commit or is ready to commit again in relt'p.. and I think it is selfish of him if he doesn't consider your feelings, if he is just doing that to compensate his divorce for his own benefit..

If I am you in that situation, first I will consider what and how I feel for him..
    If I feel that I'm not inlove and won't fall for him deeply, then I would go out and hang out with him for the purpose of being a good friend knowing he needs someone to comfort in his stressful life (but I won't expect anything love from him in return and I would set boundaries... till he is fully recovered)...
    If I feel that I really love him and will fall for him easily, then I won't go out with him as I don't wanna end up hurting myself again, although I know he needs a friend, but its not fair enough if he won't recognize my feelings.. I will just give him more space and time to recover himself... and he will just come back again later on if he is fully recovered and ready to commit if he really loves me...

• I will know when I see him this weekend. Honestly, he doesn't talk about his feelings or his divorce, so he never leaned on me. I think he wasn't in the headspace right now and never should have gotten involved with someone. I saw the red flags too so I am just as guilty. He is a damaged person in many ways and emotionally shut off, so this is a complex man. He doesn't know how he feels about anything. He is the type that will want you when he can't have you and not appreciate you when he has you. He doesn't want me to move on even though he knows we cannot be together. So either I can be detached and stay in his life until he sorts things out, or I have to disconnect completely.