What is he really saying? Real reason or excuse?

My boyfriend of 2 years just broke up with me. we seemed so good together. i really thought he was "the one". Now my heart is crushed. i knew he had been talking to his friend who is a girl and that they were really close. He said that they had nothing like that going on, that she was more of a sister figure to him. He said that he wasn't ready for a girlfriend, that i deserved better, and that he thought we would be better as friends. Is that his real reasons, or just excuses to breakup, or was he really interested in her in more than a friend/sister way?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• I will take an optimistic view, perhaps naive, but perhaps from a different perspective. You must remember that we are all wired a little bit differently. We are products of nature and nurture - and often times, we act, or react, in what we perceive our best interests to be. This can be a very different thing from what is actually in our best interests. Sometimes, the "dark", or "cut and run" feels familiar, and even though it's not the best route to take, it's what people choose to do because it lets them feel in control, and not as vulnerable. Whether or not he is interested in someone else is beyond your control. What you can control is your side of the dialog, and how you choose to react to his actions and words. What I would suggest, is give things a few days to settle down. Don't text, don't call. I wish I knew the "right" amount of time, because frankly, I'm going through something similar (feel free to click my name to view my post... I would welcome all perspectives!) But time sometimes helps to clarify things, and time apart can often be a good thing, especially if there was no major conflicts within your relationship. For argument sake, let's say a week of no contact. At that point, if he hasn't reached out to you, reach out to him. See how he's doing, and perhaps suggest meeting up someplace quiet, like a park, or go for a walk, and discuss the matter in an open atmosphere. If you approach it from the position of wanting knowledge, and looking out for yours and his best interests, you can often gain insight that the present doesn't always afford us.

Most importantly, post back here as to what happens! Fingers crossed for you