What do you see as the main reasons for divorce?

What was it in your case?

27

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 2

• Lack of sex, money problems, lack of attraction, infidelity... Those are some of the main reasons.

• *Infidelity rarely causes divorce, even when it's found out.
      *No-one ever got richer by getting divorced, except the divorce lawyers. They end up with most of the value of any accumulated assets.
      *Women are normally the ones refusing endless amounts of passionate sex (that starts at about 4 years), but it's rarely the men who initiate divorce. The men who spit the dummy over that account for less than 30% of divorces. Some men will cheat, because they can't afford divorce (and sometimes their wife is already cheating).
      *Lack of attraction is one I agree with. Read my link.

• 3) That seems like a fallacious argument. There is always an underlying cause for decreases in libido or low libido in general. The birth control pill is one cause of low libido in women because it strictly regulates hormone levels in the body. Antidepressants are another, for both men and women. Low sex drive or no sex drive at all is the number one side effect. I'll publicly state here that I am on an antidepressant and this is often a very real and frustrating problem for me. Also medical reasons like illness or chronic disease, etc. Sexual desire fluctuates in most people, we are humans after all, but it's not something that just flips off for no reason.

• Women file for divorce far more often than men do because there is more for us to gain. Like alimony, which dates back to a time when divorce was not so common and most women were stay at home moms and not working. Unfortunately, now we live in an era where most women are working and earning good salaries, and yet women can still get alimony from their exes. And here in Canada, there is something called No Fault Divorce, which allows you to put whatever ridiculous reason for the divorce on the decree. That bill passed in the 1960's, and if you look up the statistics you'll see the rates skyrocket during that decade. People have no incentive to work on their marriages anymore.

• indifference

What Guys Said 6

• Here are 4 things that will almost certainly end a relationship psychcentral.com/.../

I don't think they applied in my case. When the wife divorced me, she said she'd give me a reason one day ;but never did. That was almost 30 years ago.
    Most men don't get a reason when their wife divorces them. Most women don't want anything changed or improved; they just want out.

• I was saving this one for later.
      At least 70% of divorces are initiated by women. Sometimes a man has to start the legal action to get some of his assets back, after his wife has already left him.
      Here's the real reason why women walk out on marriage. It has nothing to do with how good a man she was married to. You don't see any of this coming, until you've been married about 4 years or more. Everything can be perfect up until then.
      www.macleans.ca/culture/books/the-two-year-itch/

• I forgot to mention that complacency in the relationship is a major problem as well. The couple mentioned in the article seem to be complacent, or at least the guy is practically her "bitch" if you know what I mean - tending to the woman's every need or going overboard to keep her happy.

• Any thoughts?

• People get lazy and stop nurturing their love for each other, and they get complacent.

Love is a living, breathing thing that needs to be cared for and tended to just like anything else in life.

• Lack of communication, lack of sex, inability to "fight" fairly.

• Marriage. Definitely.

• Sexual incompatibility. Grown apart. Fall in love with someone else.

• I think that the biggest reason for divorce is a lack of friendship.