He loves me, wants to marry me one day yet he dumped me... confused?

I've been in a relationship for two years now. Everything was going fine & all of a sudden, he dumps me. He says it's not me but his feelings changed and he needs to find what he wants in life. He says he still loves me but doesn't feel we should be together yet he still tells his mother that he wants to marry me one day. Before we broke up, he asked me to go to the same college he was going because he wanted us to still be together and I accepted. When he broke up with me, I asked him why he asked me to be with him in college. His excuse was "you're my best friend, I love you and I don't ever want you out of my life". His mom recently contacted me and said he's been crying his eyes out and knows he made a huge mistake but still feels the same way. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS! Guys, I need advice from you're perspective. What does the break up mean?

01