Is it dumb to try out his church?

My boyfriend and I recently broke up because he has been thinking about going back to his church. He broke away in his early 20's and now is 28 and wants to try again. I am catholic and he is Christian, and so by going back to his church we can not be together because I am not a part of his church. When we broke up it was the hardest thing for both of us because we are so in love. I am not at all attached to Catholicism, and so recently I've been thinking of if in a month or two more, if I still am not over him, maybe I would try to see if I could attend church w him and see if it was for me as well. I've heard of people converting for marriage, and so I was just wondering what people's thoughts on this were, and how to bring it up to him. I wouldn't flat out try and convert for him right away. I would go and see if I could share those beliefs by attending a few services w him and trying to learn more to see if it was for me. I want to give our relationship a fair shot. We were together for almost a year and have both fallen so hard for one another. The only issues we've had were when he became distant because he was trying to figure things out for himself about church. If I were to decide his church was for me, those issues would be gone and I can see us growing old together. Also I know he still has strong feelings for me because we are still friends and talk often. We have talked about how hard being broken up is. Has anyone else gone through any of this?

11

What Guys Said 1

• My dad grew up a Catholic, but converted to another religion before he met my mom. I do not have any personal experience. This is my own personal opinion based on seeing experiences of others. Do not change just to please him, a true change is when you change because YOU want to change. Most of the time when you change for the other person the situation usually turns sour. I wish you the best and good luck.

What Girls Said 1

• Definitely don't convert just to please him! The problem is, your judgment about his church will be affected by your feelings for him. I know... I converted. I thought I was doing it because I was comfortable with his church, but realized years later that my assessment was clouded by my feelings for him!! Difference in religion is a tough obstacle to overcome.