Why would a guy who dumped you still stay in touch with a family member?

I'm asking this because I'm really stressed out about this whole situation, I still love my ex with all my heart, but the way he dumped me was very mean.

After the break up I went into NC (also to heal myself) and deleted FB and changed my number to avoid contact from him.

After 10 days of NC he put a handwritten letter in my mailbox and tried calling once on Skype at 2am (while he deleted me from there) I ignored this

A week ago he sent my mom a text to "remind" me of a doctors appointement I had he was going to bring me to (Like I would forget)

And now 2 days ago (24 days NC) he sent my mom a text to ask how it went, and after that he started sending huge texts about how he still is thinking of me a lot, how he is heartbroken and stuff...

He dumped ME, and I understand my mom is the only way he can comunicate, but why does he do that? I repeat that HE dumped ME... Sigh.

Thanks :)

01