Why is it so difficult to end a long term relationship even when you aren't happy? It seems very hard to me but is it hard for you?

Even after all the hints that we are not compatible, his emotional cheating, everything that has happened. We broke up a lot throughout the 9 years we've been together. Why is it so hard to just walk away? I feel so dependent on him. I can't imagine life without him. I have a mental breakdown and cry endlessly thinking about breaking up with him.

Why?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• The relationship ended. However, your love, emotional attachment, and emotional dependency, not to mention the imprint it has left on you, continues on until they, as well, will come to an end or drastically impact you. Thus, if you dwell, that is, constantly, you will likely perpetuate the healing process.

• I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean. We didn't break up we are still together. We got into a fight recently because of his emotional cheating that is now over but we are still together

• does that equate love? being emotionally attached/dependent on someone?

• An attachment is binding, which can occur with or without the presence of love.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been with my guy for almost three years and recently he's been treating me like he doesn't care, taking me for granted, being a jerk and wanting more than he's putting into our relationship. People tell me I should leave and that they wouldn't put up with it but I can't leave and I just deal with it. I love him yes but I can't see myself walking away either. So I know how u feel. As girls we become really emotionally attached and we put all of ourselves into a relationship and to walk away is like losing a huge part of yourself and getting over that is gonna hurt and b extremely hard and we don't want to deal with that by choice, its human nature.

• we've been together since we were 17 and I always imagined we would get married. he's my first real boyfriend and i love him even though we have problems. doesn't everybody have problems? most of my friends have had short term relationships so they dont understand how I feel

• Yes everyone has their own problems in relationships its just how u handle those problems. I may not have been with mine as long as u have but I love him a and want to marry him. He's my first serious relationship. I can understand.