Getting over breakup... whats the best way?

Broke up about 9 weeks ago.

Right now I'm in the time period when I go a few days without thinking about her. I feel happy and content an acceptance that I will never get her back. And I tell myself its okay. It helps when I talk to this other ex thats been talking to me a lot.
But then it seems like out of nowhere something will happen, a movie, a song, most recently the church gospel that will remind me of her and I can't stop thinking about her. This lasts for a couple days. I fight so hard not to text/call her.
How do you get past this period? How do I get it where I dont let words or a movie bother me anymore? I hate it.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? what did you do?

53

Most Helpful Girl

• You must go through a long period of recovery time with no communication with the ex, avoiding seeing/hearing anything related to that person. In my experience though, I can only get completely past it when someone else comes into the picture. You start thinking so much about that new person that the remainings of the ex will get lost, finally.

• I think thats were I'm at right now. there's is another ex we were off and on for a couple years. 1st time we had been seeing each other about 8-9 months she asked I wanted to be official and maybe rent a place together. I told her we could be official but that I didn't want to live with her, she just said never mind then lets just stay what we are. Couple weeks later she ended it said she should just be friends.
      We went a couple months of NC and then started talking and hanging out again...6-8 months later I ask her if she still wants to get a place together this time she says No and that she's not ready to settle down... So I end things
      Again couple months with NC and we see each other at a party and start taking we hung out a few times but nothing happened it just fizzled out. Since then we text eachother on bdays and holidays.
      Well I talked to her about the breakup as she went through one last fall. 2 weeks after she asked how I was and we've been talking almost every day

• Humm.. that sounds a bit complicated - because in your case, you're getting disctracted with another ex :) it's doesn't have to be a bad thing though, as long as you know where you stand. Yes, you need to ask youself if you really want her back (once again) or you just feel like it because it would feel good/ it would make it even easier to forget your other ex/ you miss having a gf and she's the "easiest way" into it? ask yourself that and act accordingly.

• Seeing that you've known each other for so long, why don't you talk to her about how you feel? try to understand how she feels. Given the possibility of giving it another chance, you guys should first reach a level of understanding as to what you want for yourself in a possible future together. For instance, you must have the same will as to moving in together and so on..