I broke up with my bf who has depression but it was messy. How can I let him know that I still care about him?

I was in a ldr with my ex for 6 months. Despite the short time we were pretty serious and he was thinking about moving to my city. We ended up fighting a lot in the last month as we just couldn't resolve issues. During our last call he was being extremely disrespectful towards my feelings and he knew he was upsetting me but didn't seem to care at all. It was the last straw for me and I ended it. This happened while I was away on holiday and I didn't want to be sad for the rest of the 2 months I was away so I blocked him on fb. I know it was harsh but it was the only way I could prevent myself from msging him (we mainly message through fb) or look at his statuses so that I could get over him "faster" while I was on holiday. He never tried to contact me through email or Skype etc

I emailed him a week later apologising for the abruptness of our break up and explained why I blocked him. I also unblocked him but he didn't reply. A month later I asked him to send me something that I left at his and he replied back saying that I was selfish and deserve nothing from him. Now I've realised that he's blocked me on fb but I'm not sure when he did it..

He suffered from depression for a little while back and I'm worried that I hurt him in some way. I don't want him to think that I don't care. When we first started dating it took a lot of courage for him to tell me about his depression and I promised him that I'd be there for him if he needs me and that still stands true. I don't want him to think that I don't give care just because we broke up. I do want to be friends with him but I know being friends with an ex can be complicated so I'm ok with being an "acquaintance" .

I just don't want him to feel hurt thinking that me saying I cared about him was a lie coz I still care. I miss him a lot.

Do you think I should contact him and if he will reply? If so what should I say in my email to open communications with him?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• Its nice and sweet to know that you still care, but clearly he has issues that need to be sorted out, on top of this if you borke up with him many guys will get resentful/spiteful and thats without even being depressed so he's kinda got a double blow to deal with. Send him an e-mail or message explaining exactly how you feel and that you still care for him, there's a high chance he won't respond or won't take it well but you can know you've done what you could and that it wasn't healthy to be with someone with such wayward emotions.

• Thanks for your reply. I don't understand why he would be so angry with me and block me on fb and also on skype. His previous girlfriends cheated on him and broke up with him! I only broke up with him but never cheated. He never cut them out of his life like what he did to me. In fact one kept talking to him after their split and they remained as friends. That's the hard part for me to understand.

Do you think he could still hold resentment towards me? I really wish he would just try and talk to me..

• You broke up with him and he took it badly, thats quite a common thing. He is probably hurt maybe doesn't understand why you would say you still care but don't want to be with him, the issue here is with him not you so I would stop focusing on it too much.

What Guys Said 1

• I'm Going To Give You My Unlicensed Professional Opinion, "Apologize" & "Realize" Both Have "Z" & Why Are You Trying To Be Friends & Care For A Guy That Doesn't Your Feelings Into Consideration, Leave Him Alone, Dont Give Somebody Your All If They Are Not Treating You Right, You Seem Like A Nice Caring Girl, Put That Energy Into A Guy That Actually Appreciate It, Stay Strong & Stay Positive...

What Girls Said 1

• Honestly, I don't think you should contact him. There is no reason why he should have disrespected you like that. When someone is depressed it still doesn't give them the right to treat someone they care about like crap. I was in the same boat as you, but after I had enough I completely cut ties. I still think of them and still care, but I know he needs to fix himself before he can be with me. One day your ex will realize what he did and he will most likely contact you. Just be patient and keep yourself busy.