Is it weird to immediately want to be friends with an ex as soon as you break up?

My ex broke up with me after 9 months of dating due to lifestyle differences - sex was not a big thing to him, he could have taken it or left it (low libido due to anti depressants). As soon as he dumped me, he acted like nothing changed! Emailing/texting/wanting to hang out. I was confused so I asked him what was up and he said that he still loves me and thinks I am the coolest girl, and since sex isn't important to him anyway, he figured we'd just continue as we were but with no physical intimacy. I think this is so selfish and inconsiderate. I told him I wanted to sever all contact and he got upset. Thoughts?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• So he wants his (emotional) needs met but it doesn't bother him if your needs aren't getting met. Yeah, sounds selfish to me too.

by the way not that it matters now, but there are some newer antidepressants that don't interfere with sex drive.

• Part of the low sex drive is just him - he told me from the start that he is not driven by sex. Sex was something we did but if I had told him I had a headache every time I saw him, I don't think it would have been a big deal. He looks more for emotional connections.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow! This is like exactly what happened to me, minus the whole sex thing (I'm the one who didn't want to have sex).
    I know exactly how you feel, mine acted the same way. Except he wanted us to still hold hands and kiss (Yes, while we're broken up), and when I didn't want to he'd get upset. Eventually, after two months of being "Friends" I told him that I can't do it and I need to get over us and try and move on. He got mad too.

What you're doing is right, if you're hurt still by all of this then you cannot be friends yet (or maybe never). I'm still not over my ex and I think about him at night and cry, but I know I did the right thing by avoiding all contact.

• Ugh, I know, they want you minus the commitment, that's the bottom line. Like "oh well, our lifestyles aren't compatible and there's no future, but I still love you and want to keep you in my life the way you were, but we are free to see other people". Uh, I don't think so. Plus when he knew I was dating and that other guys liked me, he was so jealous! It's pure selfishness on their part - they want to have their cake and eat it too

• It's the "seeing other people part" that's the only real difference. Too bad - you make the decision to break up, certain things are going to happen, it's part of the deal. Period.

• Hahaha I know. Like how about, you make up your fucking mind and stop acting like a 12 year old child.
      I remember telling my ex that with his decision there's a consequence and the consequence is losing me. He replied with "But I want you to be a part of my life". wtf?
      But yeah, I pissed him off and we're not talking anymore. (Mostly because I asked him to not text me anymore).