Ex-boyfriend is being very confusing, sending mixed signals... I can't understand what he's thinking?

So, my ex-boyfriend and I broke up roughly 3 weeks ago. We go to the same school and hence see each other VERY often. At first, he told me he wants to be friends later down the line, but for now he needs space until he feels back to normal (btw, the breakup was more or less mutual – we both still had feelings for each other, it just wasn't working out in simplest terms). He was very genuine about his want for friendship. Now he tells me that he isn't sure whether or not he wants to be friends just yet. However, he acts so casual and chill around/with me in class (we share 3 classes together), as if we never even dated and I'm just a person in the room he's passing conversation with. So... i'm very confused. At first he says he wants to be friends but needs space until that happens (which makes sense to me), and now he's telling me he isn't sure yet if he wants to be friends or not (also, this was over text, and eventually he stopped responding because I was "stressing him out" and in general he wasn't thinking about all this stuff). He even said that if I ask him again about friendship, he'll grow more confused. But like I said, he acts 100% normal and happy and great at school, even while around me, so I don't really know what's going on in his head. Has he already moved on if he's capable of acting so casual with/around me? why is he suddenly confused about whether or not he wants friendship?
Also, just a side note, he doesn't initiate conversation with me in class. If I happen to say something to a group of people, he pitches in and acts nice/normal about everything. We sometimes make eye contact.

10