Boyfriend has a mental health issue?

Well, to start off, my ex and I dated 4 months. We started as friends and things went from there.
Thing is, he told me about his disorder and paranoia (SAD) and such. It took time for him to open up to me about this stuff. He would text me at 4 am saying scary things and how scared and anxious he was. He has only told 2 or 3 people not including his parents which makes me special in a way and feel responsible.
We broke up for other reasons caused by the disorder and he got with someone else within 3 weeks because his disorder causes him to be afraid of being alone but he still tries to keep contact with me.
I miss him and I want to help but I don't know what to do because I'm his ex.
Now that I realize this stuff, I don't want a relationship back with him but I still care and worry about him and I want/need to help him. He was a great friend and we helped each other out a lot.
What should I do? I wanna wait a bit with no contact and leave him and his new rebound alone, but I also want to be available to be there for him when he needs it because only a few people (around 3) including me know about this.

I just care so much and I'm not even romantically interested anymore. Just worried.
Just how can I try to reconstruct the friendship so he has someone else to talk to? I know I can because we mixed well, but I've never been in a situation where I wanted to reconnect with an ex. I can't watch him break down into depression and just be "the ex girlfriend". It isn't about moving on romantically to me anymore. I just wanna be close so I can help him. He is a great person and a good friend.
Help?

02