How selfish am I for wanting to find someone else before I break up with my boyfriend?

I met him 1/2 a year ago and we've been on and off for about 3 months. Currently he can go weeks without seeing me or talking to me much. I broke up with him a month ago explaining the issue and why I didn't want it anymore. The next day he begged me to get back together with him and I gave in, We didn't really discuss what he should do to change (even though it should have been obvious) so i've spoken to him a little, but once again I haven't seen him in a while.

I'm invested in the relationship when i'm with him because it's great. But when he's not there i'm thinking about breaking up with him and how stressful it is to be with him.

He genuinely does like me, and I like him too but by definition he's immature. ( thoughtcatalog.com/.../ 2, 6 and 7 and torontosnumber1datedoctor.com/.../ 3rd paragraph of part 2) He was mature enough to put label on it, but it terms of commitment I can't rely on him to do what he says he'll do or be there.

I don't want to do it now because I want to give him the chance to change and for us to talk about it fully. but my other foot is already out of the door. I hate the idea of trying to change someone (it doesn't work).

I haven't cheated on him, if I strongly felt I would do that I would just dump him. I have good self control so that hasn't happened (even with a number of opportunities).
Before anyone jumps on the bandwagon, we aren't sleeping together so i'm not just a booty call. In the beginning I even offered to keep 'us' causal but he insisted on a relationship.

23

Most Helpful Guy

• If you really want to make it work then you really need to tell him why you're unhappy with the relationship.
    Don't see it as changing him, more changing the rules of the relationship. If he needs to spend more time with you to make the relationship work then tell him and If he wants to make it work then he will make an effort, if he doesn't then you have your answer.

If you never tell him then you'll just be left wondering what if, and nobody wants that.

Hope this helps :)

• How would I bring it up without starting with 'we need to talk'? I didn't really give him the option last time, I just broke it off with him. Every time I do see him we have so much fun I almost forget anything else is wrong. This will be a downer, but I know it has to be done.

• Yeah, that sounds like an idea. You've been very helpful, thank you :)

• you're very welcome, hope things work out :)