He doesn't want to be friends?

My ex and I broke up six months ago. After a month of no contact, he suggested we meet for drinks. It went well, we confessed we still loved each other but confirmed we wanted to be friends.

Over the next couple months we hung out and it was always fun, full of laughs. He'd let slip an "I love you" every now and again, saying he still wanted to sleep with me when we got together. It's not like I didn't love him or didn't want to sleep with him too, but I didn't want to ruin any chance of friendship. I figured he just had mixed emotions, we talked about it, and I was willing to let all the "I want to have sex with you" comments slide.

After a couple months of the friend thing, he said he had started talking to a girl, and he needed at least three months of no contact with me to be fair to the new girl. I told him I understood, was happy for him, and left it at that.

We're still "friends" on social media. In the three months since, he's "liked" posts, and he sent me a couple of benign texts around his birthday. Other than that, no contact. I wanted to be respectful and never reached out to him.

We're at the three-month mark soon. I know there's a good chance I'll never hear from him again. I don't know where he is relationship-wise. A friend of mine saw him on an online dating site over a month ago, so my fear is he said he was seeing someone because he doesn't want to be friends, but couldn't get up the courage to tell me that outright. But I really, profoundly miss his friendship.

I don't care if he's with someone. I want to be his friend. I won't push it if he doesn't actually want me as his friend in return, obviously. But I also don't know if the random texts and comments were him "reaching out." I don't think so, but my friends have suggested that it was...

Should I try sending him a friendly text if he doesn't do so himself in the next few weeks? Or just leave it?

11