Is it me, or the things going on in his life?

We were dating for about a year, and things were great. I mean, we'd have our fights and stuff, mainly because I was insecure about myself. Anyways, he always has a lot of stuff going on at home, because he lives in a completely broken home. I've always been there for him, and he's always been there for me, which made us really close because of the things we've both experiened. I 'broke up' with him about two weeks ago because of a misunderstanding, but we've always gotten back together. The thing is, this time it was in person (whenever we 'broke up' before we'd always come back together because we both knew that we didn't mean it). After that, he didn't want a relationship, which is understandable. A few days later we started talking as friends again, just being there for each other. Then, he told me a few days after that, that he wanted to get together again eventually once we can really be together, because we really started to understand each other after talking as friends for a few days. Another few days have passed, and we started 'talking' a little bit again. The problem, though, is that he had a really bad day yesterday (at school and at home), and now he told me last night that he can't see this going anywhere.
He's also friends with my best friend; he was texting her last night, and he told her that if I would just "grow up, and move on" or something I'd be better off. She knows him really well too, and she's said that when something's wrong, he'll push people away and act like nothing's wrong. We talked to an adult for advice, and he told us that it seems like I'm just the outlet for his pain, because he doesn't know how to deal with whatever he's going through. I know he cares about me, but when he's hurt or mad he pushes me away, and talks about me. My friend has even told me that she knows he cares if I'm hurt, and she knows EVERYTHING.
Has he really moved on? does he still want me, but he just doesn't know how to deal right now? Will he come back?
At first when we just broke up and he didn't want to get back together, there was a lot of problems going on at home for him. Things got better and then he was willing to try again, and now that things are going wrong for him he doesn't want to try.
Is he just feeling hopeless and lost? Why is he taking his anger and frustration out on me? I know he cares about me, but he keeps saying I can do better. Is he treating me like this because he feels worthless with all of the stuff he's dealing with?

01