Why are there so many divorces going on?

I'm hearing loads of stories lately where married couples have split. Why is that?
And what are the current divorce rates?

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• I am currently getting divorced. Been married 11 years but together 15. We don't fight or gave drama, we simply grew in different directions. I'm 42 and stuck in a rut with my marriage. I was honest and asked him to work with Mr to make it better. He didn't want to work on it because he doesn't think anything is wrong! That's a problem for me and the fact that I'm not happy and he doesn't want to work through it led us to the divorce option. Dissolution actually because we still love each other, just don't have anything in common. He's content, I'm not. I don't want to live this way anymore. We have a daughter (7), and this is very hard because, again, we totally don't hate each other. Everything is agreeable. Its very weird, but I look forward to my freedom and living a fun happy fulfilling life in the bear future.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• The divorce rate follows the baby boomers. It always has. Lots of information about that, you could have found it online in less time than it would have taken you to write up this question.

The biggest reason for it to follow the baby boomers is that they were the last generation to get married super young, before they actually knew who they were or what they wanted in life. After they were all married, divorce became more acceptable. So once they started realizing 'this person is not a person I can spend my whole life with', they started getting divorces.

Generations before them got married earlier, but didn't have divorce as a common escape clause so divorce rates were low. Generations after them tended to see the problems and frequency of divorce, and have generally started marrying later and thus marrying more sensibly. So divorce rates for them are lower, as they are generally able to have a better understanding about 'can I live with this person forever'. But as the baby boomers age, the highest divorce rate just moves up with them.

You see spikes with higher divorce rates in places where people still tend to marry really young that cuts across generational demographics, mostly because they are still in the same situation that the baby boomers were in, but for local societal pressure reasons as opposed to global societal pressure reasons.

0|0
    0|0
  • Divorce is encouraged over options that would have been more common in the past.

Some parties may anticipate relatively low penalties in terms of where they live and access to children.

0|0
    0|0
  • The divorce rate is over 50%, and usually the woman initiates it because of financial reasons or because she's bored with the relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • people giv eup too easily... they don;t fight enough for their relationship!!

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• I tend to think that people have a lot of unrealistic expectations about marriage.

As far as divorce rates, for first marriages it's about 30% and for all marriages it's about 50%.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes