Ex girlfriend asked me to take her back when I denied she ran back to another guy. Why?

Long story short. A girlfriend of 4 years and I broke up about a year back. I was her first for everything. She got a rebound right away and it only lasted a couple months. We ended up back together. After 5 months together after a break up she broke up with me for a frivolous reason and started dating another guy. 7 months pass and I finally get another girlfriend. Things start off shaky and my ex comes back along and tries to get back into my life. I told her no she got mad and cursed me out.

About a week later she apologized and said it was immature of her to do such a thing. I told her I still cared about her but I couldn't date her again. She agreed to be friends but a few days later she started going back out with the most recent rebound after saying she wasn't worried about boys and she was going to stay single. I don't understand why because she doesn't seem to happy. I tried to be an adult and help her but it doesn't seem like she wants any. I know you all are going to say why worry but im just trying to make sense of it all.
And I said no because I was dating someone else.

11