Is it normal to break up with a guy because he doesn`t want to get maried within 1 year after he started dating a girl?

let`s assume the pair didn`t know each other before dating started

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Someone really pushing for marriage is exactly the sort of person you do NOT want to be getting married to.

It is "normal" enough to be really cautious about--don't fall prey to it. Healthy people don't behave that way.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• some people date for marriage. I have a feeling that if you were truly in love and ready for marriage with this girl, you would have been engaged by now. people don't drag their feet if they know what they really want. maybe she didn't want to continue a deadend relationship that wouldn't go anywhere

0|0
    0|0
    • thing is i`m not ready... she`s pretty closed off, so i still want to know things about her which she keeps hidden. i don`t want to enter the marriage life when she still doesn`t feel secure enough to talk to me about them. but she wants a marriage right away... and it`s not a deadend since i want marriage too, just not so early when i barely know her

• It's not crazy, some people have different expectations. They date seriously, with marriage as the result of the dating. So they expect to engage not too long after and eventually marry not too long after.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think its normal at all. If they really "love you" they won't rush you into anything. this goes for guys and girls.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, if it was the sole goal of dating him.

(I'm not saying that this is what every normal girl wants.)

1|0
    0|0
    • thats odd, I've never met someone who dated another person specifically to marry them, unless we're talking about an old rich white guy

• I think it applies to all rich guys no matter race or age. Well, I can say I have... and surprisingly they aren't all from Asia.

• What's normal anyway? In some cultures eating cow brain in completely acceptable, in others... Not so much.

0|0
    0|0
  • no, the girl is crazy and its good you didn't want to marry her.

0|0
    0|0
  • no i was with my ex for 6 years before we got engaged

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• No, not normal at all. I guess she's one of those girls that wanted to snatch him up quick and in a way "trap" him. It's weird but that's what happened to one of my brother's friends. I guess she didn't go on the pill (hmm I wonder why) and then she got pregnant. She didn't want to get an abortion and wanted him to stay with her. They got married and have a kid together.

0|0
    0|0
  • A year in my opinion is too fast but it does happen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If it was unspoken about for the first year and she started mentioning stuff after I'd think ok. But if she was pushing for it within the first year run like hell. I'd imagine girls are pushy for marriages within their 30's mainly though because they feel their time may be "running out." They then have really shitty judgment and just look for a guy to get married.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends, mostly on age that is. If you are relatively young (under 30) I would say your requirement of marriage is ridiculous. Marriage, an intense legal entanglement, is not to be entered lightly as it has thousands of ramifications in several areas of law. In my situation, my GF is 26 and I'm 27 and have been dating for 4.5 years and aren't engaged. Why? We are waiting to be financially stable and see how compatible we are living together.

Now, on the other hand, if you are both financially stable, cohabitating, and are getting older (30+ when age to conceive is starting to become a concern) I think it is a strict requirement to expect a proposal in one year but not 100% unreasonable. Within two years I feel expectation of proposal is a good policy though you can go 1 year in his setting if you want to be more shrewd.

0|0
    0|0
  • Her main goal seems to have been marriage, and not finding someone she loves, so I wouldn't personally consider it normal (though what is normal these days?). I think that if I found a girl that I were to really like, I wouldn't care whether I were married or not, as long as we were together :o. A year in any case seems a bit quick, as one cannot know each other after such a short time, there needs to be a good period where a couple lives together to see if they are compatible. I say minimum 3 years, but I would want 5 myself :o

0|0
    0|0
  • It's interesting! The common rule of marriage is to get married after 4 years of seeing each other

0|0
    0|0
    • this 1 year is kinda scary... in my opinion not enough time to get to know each other. that`s why i`m askin

• It is scary man, you're right, 1 year is definitely not enough to truly get to know someone, don't let anyone push you into something you are not comfortable with, take it at your pace, and most of all, you must love yourself before you can get married.

Recommended myTakes