Can you really give a relationship a second chance?

Basically my ex has been asking to date and start fresh after we broke up 5 months ago, he got close to someone else and hurt me shit loads by rubbing my face in it and slept around and felt the need to tell me the details and blamed his change in personality on me as I wasn't "giving him enough attention" yet recently he has been asking to give things another go despite having girls stay at our flat we once shared and lying to them telling them he's alone when he's with me, there's more things he has done but I'd be here all day writing them :-/ so can you really give a relationship a second chance when the ex claims he loves me and has changed and wants to settle down and grow up or is it all a lie?

33

Most Helpful Guy

• Well... you are going to HATE this opinion... but the chances that it would work out the second time around is 0.01%. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is.
    BUT... my guess is that you already know this. From your profile picture, you are a beautiful girl, and the fact that you even "question" giving someone that did you wrong a second chances tells so much about you ability to care for someone and find the good in people and in life. It's too often that girls with those type of personalities get hurt over and over and never have the chance to be happy... because they just keep giving that "second chance".
    I think it's time that you have your FIRST chance at being with someone that will treat you with respect, loyalty, and give allow you to have 100% trust in them. And this cannot be that guy... it simply will never work. And again... you already know this.
    This guy may love the THOUGHT of you, but if he truly loved YOU, he would not have done what he did... period. No matter how you flip, spin, or twist it... that's the fact. Would you have do the same thing to him? Why not? Because you loved him? Now that makes sense doesn't it?
    The biggest disadvantage now is that he's going to play on your kindness until he convinces you to do what he wants.
    Now to be fair, there is that 0.01% chance... however small that is... it's still a chance. The ultimate choice is yours regardless of anyone's opinion. You have to be happy with your choices. You can always give it a try if you can stand the potential for additional pain and time lost with the wrong person.
    Personally, I would move on to the better quality that you deserve. But I'm not you, and you need to decide for yourself. Good luck in whatever way you walk from here.

• Thanks for your kind words, it's always nice to get advice from outsiders as it gives a clearer opinion on the situation, my head agrees with you but my heart needs to catch up, it's an awful feeling not being able to trust someone or be hurt by the one person who you never thought would hurt you :(

• Yes... it's not a good place to be. Time takes care of everything, but time passes at it's own pace. Stay strong, stay positive, and realize that you are amazing... everyone else can see it.