Why does ex boyfriend say 'we are just. friends. now' and also says 'things should happen naturally amd not artificially' ? What's the deal?

Ex boyfriend currently being a pain in the ass! A few months into' break up' and he only wants to talk by text UNTIL 'I show I have changed my behaviour and become a better person'. Kind of annoying as I hate to text and we still argue because we both have a lot of anger (more so him).

Now, he says if things are meant to happen than it will without efforts and if not it won't. He is a believer in that stupid ' meant to be or not' mentality. I AM NOT. I try to text about 'normal convos' and then he starts in with this shit and saying ' I can't expect anything from him, but expect everything from myself' . And, things should be in a natural way.,, so
WHat the hell?

He likes to remind me that' we are just friends as of now because of my behaviour' .

01