Breaking Up with the Guy I shouldn't break up with?

I sort of broke up with my best friend two months ago... I sent him a letter saying that if he wanted me only for sex we should wipe the slate clean and start to forget about each other. I still think about him every day and somedays I have to fight back every urge to text him and ask how he's doing... Part of me wonders if he wants me the way I want him... The other part of me says that I shouldn't talk to him first since I need to know if he's going to actually forget about me.

I did all of this to try to keep myself from getting hurt but instead I just got hurt even more...

01