Returning gifts after a break up?

My friend broke up with her boyfriend after a 3 year relationship. They never lived together. He gave her something that had belonged to his father and now his mother is demanding that she return it. If it was a gift from the now ex-boyfriend is she obligated to return it? It’s been 3 months since they broke up and just now the mother is sending threatening texts. BTW: it was an old beat up crate left in a shed that had been neglected and in disrepair and had been there for several years. Now all of a sudden the crazy mother of the ex-boyfriend wants it back.

The feeling the friend has it that because of the mother's attitude. Instead of nicely asking for it back, from the onset she was very rude and demanding. The mother has a lot of money and is used to getting her way by intimidating.

32

Most Helpful Guy

• For me there are 2 facts: first - it was gift from him so there is no need to return it. This is a gift, not loan or enything like that. This is from technical point of view. But there is one important thing. What this girl is feeling? If she is feeling bad with this gift she can return it. But if she is ok with it - look at point 1. That's simple for me :)