Is it best to cut contact or remain friends after a breakup?

I broke up with my boyfriend a few days ago. We love each other a lot but for reasons I can't fully explain I just don't want to be with him anymore. He tries not to show it, but it's pretty hard for him. Last night I was getting some of my stuff from his place and we hugged goodbye and then we kissed and somehow we ended having sex. After the sex I was lying on his chest and he was stroking my hair, telling me how much he loved me and crying his eyes out. We stayed like that for a couple of hours. It was pretty bad

We had planned on staying friends, but I'm now thinking that maybe it's better if we cut contact. I love him so much and I want him in my life, but I don't want to hurt him any more than I already have.
  • Stay friends
  • Stay friends but keep your distance
  • Cut contact
    Vote C
  • See answers
    Vote D

85

Most Helpful Girl

• I truly believe time heals but if he keeps having you around , he will never get over you. He needs time and space to re discover himself in a new light , to make it through without having you by his side. It will hurt like crazy and he will be heartbroken fro weeks but its all for the best. You need to let go, because i doubt he will get over you if your there remaining him of how happy you guys were and when did it all went wrong. He needs a distraction not a constant remainder , if he sees you constantly it will make it harder for him, trust me. Don't try to be friends , just let it happen , it its meant to be it will. After he has seen he can survive without you and that what you two had was beautiful but not enough, you guys can be friends once again. My BF broke up with me with a text ( shameful and disrespectful ) and it took me forever to get over him because we had classes together and we would sit right next to each other , i could feel my heart breaking in two every time i would look into his eyes just remembering everything we went through , but after high school when i stopped seeing him completely i eventually forgot about him in that way. I love him still and probably always will because more than my bf he was my best friend which i cared for and loved and now after i had time to rediscover myself i can easily text with him like we did before we ever started dating. So give him time and space :) good luck A.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yup, got to agree with you there. And it goes both ways. Give it some months, and see if you find back together as friends. If not, don't try to force it.