What does 'we work better this way' mean after almost 4 years?

Long story short: My ex of around 4 years broke up with me, we live together, still act like a couple, sleep in the same beds (even though we have 2 bedrooms), etc. Today I tried talking to him and I told him how I felt, what I've changed (what caused the break up was me nagging). He said we work better this way (acting like a couple but without the title?). Then I continued to tell him I don't want a 'title' to ruin what we have going, and that I want to make us work blah blah blah. This is the first time he's actually willingly let me open up without getting angry or annoyed (step in the right direction?). What does he mean? He didn't say no to getting back together, he just says he doesn't know right now, and that right now we work better split up, but acting like a couple.
(ps neither of us can move out until June when our lease is up).
Before he left me (we broke up about 2 months ago), he wanted to spend forever with me and I don't know what to do. We clicked since the day we met.

02