Why is it hard to stay friends after a relationship?

My ex I agreed that we were going to stay friends afterwards, but then stuff happened and nothing. I'm kind of unsure.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm friends with one, can't even look at the other. Even tho I see the second one way more often. It's ok to feel things out if you're both ok with it. But as soon as one backs off, the other has to respect the boundaries. Can't force anything

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• I would believe it depends how mature you guys are, as well as many other factors. If you are really mature and can look over the relationship. If you wish your ex a happy life, then being friends isn't that hard. If you guys broke up on a bad note than no question being friends is very difficult and to be honest I wouldn't want to be friends with an ex that have done me wrong. There could also be closure. Maybe there are still questions about your relationship that you still wish for answers. In a healthy relationship I think closure to problems and concerns are the best solution, whether the relationship is being friends or partners. Once you get complete closure, you can start to really understand why things happen, why the problems started, and you will work towards solving it and moving on.

Unlike my relationship right now, my gf never gives me closure of problems that I bring up, and this brings up a lot of unnecessary arguments. I ask her for closure and she would try and avoid the topic or change the question. This I believe is a sign of immaturity, hopefully I can help her grow more mature and we can create a health relationship. We have trust issues right now because I checked her phone before, but she also lied to me. Won't get into too much details, its very complicated. But anyways I think you should seek for closure in your relationship as friends. Go talk to him/her and ask for any unanswered questions or problems.

2|0
    0|0
  • Rarely is the breakup completely mutual. Someone still has feelings and it's just awkward. It's difficult to give your heart to someone and then dial it way, way back.

2|1
    0|0
  • It can be hard to look at the person you once loved and have all the memories come flooding back. Usually people break up for a reason.

2|1
    0|0
  • Its not hard for me, As a matter of fact Im best friends with my first two girlfriends that I dated for almost 5 years each.

I think its if you had a very meaningful relationship, Something that has impacted both of you, lasted long enough to leave a footprint and broke off in a respectful way with no hard feelings. You guys can literally be the closest friends ever (think about it). You know everything about each other, its so easy to be tight friends after something that meaningful.

But if its a short relationship and nothing really powerful, then nah its doesn't even make sense like that BUT of course by all means if your better off as friends and it can happen, why not.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because ex's typically don't remain friends... you realized you're incompatible with each other, so, why should being friends work?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Because it becomes awkward... Like seeing somebody who you used to have sex with, deep conversations with, cuddle etc. Then afterwards you have to try and just be casual when all the special memories are there

0|1
    0|0
  • Its difficult to remain friends with someone that u have intense feelings and attraction for... I had. To end a friendship with one of my exs cuz it just wasn't working for me. Since I'm a very emotional person.
    The only time they can remain friends I guess is if there's no attraction or love feelings

0|0
    0|0
  • I do think it's hard... and not really healthy when you begin a new relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not saying its impossible but it is weird from my experience. Well I actually don't have any experience from being friends with my ex, and the reason why its hard for him and I to remain friends is because we never started off as friends when he and I first met. And then when you decide to be friends with them, and all those memories you have them come back you are stuck. I wouldn't recommend it you are better off just moving on with your life. People break up for a reason. If someone still has feelings for there ex then it can be difficult on them and awkward as well. I have an ex and he and I decided not remain friends we just don't talk to each other. Sad but its true, and its life.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes