My ex is confusing me with his behavior?

My ex and I broke up a month ago. he's a foreign exchange student here from Saudi and the reason why we broke up is because his family doesn't want him to be with someone who isn't from Saudi and not muslim. We broke up mutually because we both know there was no future for the both of us. The thing is my ex wants to stay friends which I told him wouldn't be a good idea since we both still have strong feeling for each other. After we broke up we didn't talk for 2 weeks then I got a text from him. I kept the conversation mutual he wanted to meet for a little so I decided. I kept my distance and asked him how school is going and how his family is. Everything was fine until he asked me if I was dating anyone else now. I told him no because it's too soon to date for me. After that he grabbed my hand, gave me a hug and a kiss on the forehead and said I love you.. Even when we were about to leave he kept saying I love you to me.. I didn't say it back even though I know I still love him but him and I are no longer together.. I'm really confuse as to what he wants from me? I can tell that he doesn't want to let go but staying with me will mean that his family will cut him off.. I don't know what to say to him and I don't know what he really wants. Plus this whole thing is confusing me

03

Most Helpful Guy

• He's probably just as confused as you are if not more. since you guys seem to keep everything "mutual" why don't you tell him that the lovey dovey act isn't helping and that you should work more towards keeping it friends. keep the "i love you"s for later when you guys are more comfortable as friends.

What Guys Said 2

• It'll never work out. Cut all communication with him and heal.

• It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on it.

He loves you and wants you, but family pressures can be really difficult in his culture. I'd be careful if anyone tries to convert you- Saudi culture can be extremely sexist and restrictive to women. Be strong in who you are and who you want to be outside of the relationship.

What Girls Said 0