Was I wrong? Am I the only one?

I was with this girl for three years, i always made her a priority yet whenever it came to me, i was always second rate. I would constantly try to make her happy without overdoing it. Everything was good up until my parents separated, i was juggling a relationship, hobbies, friends, and a depressed father who had no interest in helping himself. After that i became very depressed, she got very distant from me, never bringing up a conversation. Always expecting me to come through for her or the relationship.. Never trusting me with anyone else especially when they were trying to help me. The end result was a break, then ultimately a break-up. I never got an answer to what i did wrong, i cut off all communication 5 months ago in an attempt to forget. Still feeling unsure, unhappy and broken. Anyone else have experience with this? Thought? Ideas? Experience? Anything would be great thanks.

13

Most Helpful Girl

• She was a bad girlfriend for not understanding that you were going through a hard time and reaching out to you more instead of expecting you to help her as you did when things were going bad.

Most Helpful Guy

• " i always made her a priority "

Then yes, you were wrong.

"I would constantly try to make her happy"

Also wrong.

"I never got an answer to what i did wrong,"

Well, you did now.
    A relationship is supposed to be between equals. Not a one sided support system for the female.
    You made yourself into that, and then wondered why it wasn't a relationship.
    You made yourself into that, and she got used to it, and then got pissed off when you weren't there in your usual role.

In the future, don't do that. Don't be that.

• I don't agree with this completely. In many cases you first notice that a relationship isn't working when problems occur. I have made the same "mistake" before too. I was giving too much and receiving nothing. I learned of it to be more cautious for girls who don't deserve it, but I would certainly do the same again for a girl who does deserve it. It makes the relationship much more fruitfull. Like I said before, the behaviour was not wrong, but you did it for the wrong girl. Of course a relationship has to be between equals, and shouldn't be one-way-trafic.