What to do if your boyfriend still not divorced but legally separated and the divorce papers haven't processed yet. What to do? Thoughts?

My friend has a boyfriend for 2 years now. I can see they are inlove and very serious to each other. Apparently her boyfriends is not yet divorced meaning in the eyes of law he is still married to his ex-wife. They were together for about 10 years. My friend is very anxious that one day his boyfriend and ex-wife reconcile and she will end up being trashed and left alone knowing that his bf is still not yet divorced. Her BF said he is legally separated but not yet divorced (not sure whats the difference of that) but he said he is now processing the divorce papers and divorce is quite expensive. What should my friend do? Knowing that her BF still not yet divorced she's afraid that one day his BF will leave her and will reconcile with his ex wife the fact that they were together for about 10 years. I can see they love each other but she is concern if she has a future with him knowing that her bf is still not divorced. What she should do? Thoughts?

11