What to do after a long distant relationship break up? Stay friends or break clean?

I've was in a relationship with someone abroad. We met through a friend and first it started off as just chatting, but soon we both we admitted we liked each other. We would message each other and talk and video call each other everyday. This lasted for over a year. During that time, I did have doubts about this relationship because it was long distance, and I wasn't sure when would be the next time I would see him. However, it was great until suddenly he told me he met someone else in his country, so he told me he couldn't talk to me anymore.

I was heartbroken and confused, because we did talk about our future a lot.

It's been over two months since we talked... at this point part of me wants to still talk to him, and the other part of me just wants to move on because of the fear of getting hurt again.

I've talked to some friends about it and I'm getting mixed answers. Some say it's better just to let go, others said, if I wanted to talk to him, just talk. My sister suggested even just being friends with him, talking occasionally.

Is there someone that's been in this sort of situation?
What would be the best thing to do? Everyday I just keep arguing with myself and I don't know what to do.

02