I broke up with my girlfriend, but we still both love each other. What do I do?

Her and I are both still very young, and it was my first relationship, as well as hers. We were extremely happy the summer we got together. At first, most of our relationship was over the phone. We rarely met up with each other for the first month, and she actually ended up breaking up with me, because she was confused as to whether or not she still had feelings for another guy. After a couple of days, she realized how much I meant to her, and we got back together. We were both depressed before the breakup, and after it too, but a week after getting back together, school started, and we saw each other every day. We were both very shy and awkward for awhile, but then we started being ourselves more, in person and over the phone, and we grew comfortable with each other. We felt like we were in love. We eventually starting hanging out nearly every day of the week, and we loved each other's company. We got into little fights here and there, and upset each other here and there, but it didn't matter. Well that began to change.
We still loved each other, but she started doing things to upset me more often, not on purpose of course. Her personality seemed to change a bit, but we still loved each other. I eventually found myself sad, worried, or angry, more often than I was happy in the relationship. She didn't show me as much affection as I showed her, and she didn't seem to want to hang out as much as I did, and she didn't put forth as much effort as I did. I broke up with her because I want to be happy, but we still love each other, and I feel so empty without her. I havn't really been able to contact my friends for about a month now, and that won't change until next month. She practically was my life, and I miss her so much. I want to be with her and be happy, but I wanted to smother her, and she wanted her alone time. I don't know what to do, neither of us wanted to end it, we still love each other. But I think if we get back together, I'll be sad again.

40

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe you miss the memories you had with her not her exactly. Some people just fall out of love with each other. I kept going back to my ex time after time after. He kept stringing me back in and I didn't know what to do, because I was afraid of being alone. But I mean being alone is better than being in the wrong relationship. It was hard for me to move on because he was treating me like crap but then he was so sweet. But it took me a while to realize that he wasn't so great after all. The more you go back to the same person the more you are missing out on someone better. I understand it is hard to move on from someone you love oh so much. You want to be happy, maybe you want to enjoy being single for a while. You don't have to force yourself to fall in love trust me. Falling in love comes naturally you don't just fall. Do what makes you happy, decide what you want. Do you want to be happy or you want to be in a relationship again? If it makes you happy do it, if it doesn't then don't. I decided to take a break from dating because I haven't met the right guy in my life yet. I'd like something that is real and serious and meant to be and committed as well. You don't have to make yourself fall in love if you don't want too.

What Girls Said 3

• Take it from a girl who unfortunately kept going back to the same guy because he loved me. I could never move on with my life and date other people because I didn't want to hurt him. The key is to remember why you broke up in the first place and keep that burnt into your mind. Don't back pedal because if you do, each time it will take you longer and longer to get over each other. Use this experience as a learning curve. Everyone needs that first relationship to set the ball rolling for the rest of their lives, a underlay for all the future relationships. Its hard I know, but you will look back on this experience in 2 years times time and be thankful that you didn't give into love.

• I think you need to be brutally honest with yourself. Compare the way you felt while you were with her, and the sadness you're feeling without her. Which one is the stronger feeling? People who love each other break up all the time... just because you're in love doesn't mean you're with the person you're truly meant to be with and I think the signs (being sad, worried or angry with her, and feeling like you had to do most of the effort in being together) all those signs point to the sad fact that maybe you're meant to be in each others' lives, but not together.

• So why did you break up with her? WOW if you guys love eachother just STAY with eachother!! jeezzzz

What Guys Said 0