Need advice on how to end an emotional affair

I'm looking for advice from people who have had an emotional affair and how they were able to move on from it.

I'm in a long-term relationship with my boyfriend but have started an emotional affair with another man which has been going on over several months now. He is also in a long-term relationship.

It sounds silly but our contact is only over text messaging as we live in different countries. We have however met several times in person before. We work in the same industry and first met 5 years ago at an event. We never had any private contact outside our business world though until a few months ago.

Realizing last week that I'm heading straight into disaster by continuing with this emotional affair I told him that we have to stop. I thought the best way was to stop cold turkey. He didn't like the idea but agreed to it because I wanted it. We have not communicated since Monday this week and I think of him every minute of the day. I can't concentrate on my work.

We agreed to get in contact on Friday to see how we both felt with not communicating. I know the answer is to continue with not communicating even though it is against what I selfishly want right now.

Do you have any tips on how to get through this? Have you been in a similar situation? Is stopping the contact cold turkey the best way to go?

Thanks for your advice.
3
1