Can I break up with him via email?

I've been with my bf for a few years nkw and unfortunately things aren't glong that great. We are on different pages and want different things in the future.

But whenever I try to talk to him in person, I always chicken out and I can't get the words out even though I've practiced my speech hundreds of times in my head.

Would it be an acceptable way to break up with him by writing a letter?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Write the letter. Hold it up in front of you in your hand as you go to talk to him. Read said letter.

It'll be good for you to break up with him this was so you can dialogue if it comes to that after you reading him the letter.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No. It's disrespectful and takes something away from what you had. You can write a letter but break up with him verbally, in-person then hand it to him if you don't think there is any way you could say everything you want to in words.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• You have to grow up sometime in your life... you can not just run away like a coward all the time... Just tell him you want to talk something important and then tell him that want to breakup and why...

He will cry maybe but he will be hurt if you break up through a email...

So stop being a coward!!

2|0
    0|0
  • NO telegraph is better...

2|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• I feel like that would be a fairly cruel thing to do.. especially to someone you have been with for several years. It should definitely be done in person. You'll just have to work on yourself and figure out the right way to say it.

1|1
    0|0
  • You can write the letter to better sort through your thoughts and figure out what you want to say. But i'd recommend in person, yes it's difficult to do, but more respectful. There are some things better done face to face, even if it hurts.

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't do it. My boyfriend dumped me in an email two days ago and I am still waiting to have an actual conversation with him about it. I realise it may seem hard to you, but dumping someone is never easy. You will just have to bite the bullet and get it done.

Yes, he will probably take it badly, he might be sad, he might be upset, he might be angry. He might be all of those things. But such is life. He deserves to be told in person that it is over, and he deserves to be given the chance to ask questions he might have and say the things he might have to say.

1|0
    0|0
    • Well I was going to write the letter then offer him the chance to talk about it in person if he so wishes. But what do you think about some of the other suggestions that I write the letter but give it to him in person to read?

• I think that would be acceptable. It would be better if you could bring yourself to say it to him, but if you cannot do that then this is an ok alternative.

Recommended myTakes