How hard is it to get over a first love? Does it take long?

An ex and I has been broken up for about a year now after dating for around 5 years. I was he first for everything and she was my first love.

We've dated people since the break up, but even when I was dating my mind would wonder off to my ex. Her and I spoke from time to time; but it would always end it a fight for some reason or another. I do what everybody says do, I surround myself with friends, workout, enjoy
Life, etc. But there's times where I can't her out of my mind.

My question is: how hard is it to get over someone, and how long does it usually take to get over someone? Also when is a good time frame to start dating again?

41

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly it took me years to move on. I only really started to let her go when I met and fell in love with someone else. 5+ years later she's still important to me and probably always will be. We still talk occasionally but thinking about her doesn't make me sad anymore. My advice would be to change your thinking about the break up. Is she happy? Be happy that she is. Thinking about how thankful you are for the time you spent together, think about what you learned from your relationship and make sure you don't make the same mistakes next time. Also, be confident that the pain will fade. It always does. The first one is by far the worse, but you'll move on. If you're feeling attracted to other women that's a good sign to get back out there too. Trust me nothing gets your mind off a girl like another girl. And there's so many out there! Look for someone totally different. Broaden your horizons. Don't go rushing in to a relationship with the first girl you meet though. Now you know how much relationships can suck. Just go have fun.

What Girls Said 4

• I swear I answered this same question yesterday... But anyway break ups are pure hell, getting over your first love is gonna be one of the hardest things you'll have to do in life. Trust me it's gonna take a long time so don't expect to feel better in a few weeks.

• It is almost impossible to be entirely over an ex. You will always have a connection and a small attachment/feelings for this person but it is up to you to figure out whether it is enough to be able to move or be stuck in love with someone you cannot be with any longer.. Working out when to date someone else will be when you know you are ready to move and don't feel the 'need' to be with your ex despite the small feeling you may have for her..

• I am in the same situation as you, exept we didn't date for 5 years. He hasn't been that Nice to me either after the brake up, but still I can't get him completely out of my mind. It has been 10 months, for 9 months we had no contact and that helped a lot, now we have contact again, and I think about him more. But even if I think about him, I dont have feelings for him.

• You will never forget your first love :)

I had some struggle and it took me a while maybe about a year or even bit more.
    I can't tell you when is a good time to date because that's something you need to know and feel! Well for me the best way was after I kinda accepted this break up I actually fell in love with my boyfriend now and sometimes the best way to heal is to fall in love with somebody else!

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!