How do I make my husband of 20 years want to leave?

My husband and I have been together since I was 16. We weren't married until I was 22 but I realize now that I was too young and inexperienced to know what I wanted. I have fallen out of love with him. In fact he disgusts me. I have told him that I feel we have grown apart, that I'm no longer attracted to him and that I have grieved our marriage already. We have a 16 year old son who my husband feels couldn't handle it, but who tells me his dad won't talk to him and doesn't love him. I stay positive about my spouse in front of my son and tell him his dad is just quiet and trying to correct him. Since we have grown apart I am now in an affair with a friend of ours. My lover is also married and doesn't want us to seek divorces until my son is out of school. I believe he is sincere and really loves me. I want rid of my husband either way because I am so miserably unhappy. I feel like a trapped fly. How do I make him want to leave? He wants another chance and now he is trying too hard and smothering me. It has made him even more unattractive to me than ever. Thanks for any outside perspective on my situation.

613

Most Helpful Guy

• well you need to cut the affair asap. that is a recipe for destruction. if your husband were to find out he could divorce you, take your child and really leave you with nothing... typically infidelity will result in no alimony during a divorce proceeding.

I think if you are just no longer in love you need to broach the subject of divorce to your spouse. explaining that maybe you wait until your son is in college or 18 but that you think it's unfair to you and him to be in a relationship in which you aren't in love with your partner

• Really depends where you live. Infidelity is irrelevant where I am. She could still clean him out.

• Yes her infidelity would have no bearing in court. Divorce is a woman's playground honestly.

• I know states like New York and California have very distinct laws regarding divorce as a result of proven infidelity. I guess women should move to Canada

Most Helpful Girl

• You need to remain firm in your desire for him to go. Say it and mean it. Or, do like I did and YOU leave. I found an apartment close enough to make shared custody of the kid easy, signed the lease, told him and left. We are currently very good friends now and ate drama free. It takes balls of steel but you can do it.