What should I do? Started no contact and my ex boyfriend and he's acting weird?

My ex and I broke up in September and I begged him and all that stuff we became friends but he started acting cold. Since he asked for my number a day hasn't gone by that we hadn't texted even after the breakup. Until yesterday I never sent one text and I always do. In my class we have table groups of 4 and our new seats were assigned and we were at the same table. He was in the front and I was behind him. Literally the entire class period he kept glancing over at me and if I caught him he smiled and looked away quickly. He complimented my hair (i recently had it dyed) and he did lots of things like playing with my ear buds and asking if they were new. He even set his on my desk. I didn't sit at his lunch table and I hardly looked at him. He kept turning around and looking at me. I thought maybe it worked and he liked me again but after school he came up to me and he looked nervous. He asked me if anything was wrong and I said no and he said I seemed distant and I asked him if he wanted me to text him and he looked really sad and said "no I would not." I don't know what to please help :( I want to text him and see if he's ok but I think he's sure I'll do that

20