Is it possible to move on from your ex while remaining friends?

Recently broken up with my girlfriend. Just curious if it is possible to remain grit winds while trying to move on and eliminating any feelings you may still have for them
Updates:
Is it possible to remain friends*

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• The best thing to do would be to just stay out of each others way for a while. People need time to heal after a relationship and that cannot be done when your in the same person's company all the time. Give it a few months then when you think that you are completely 100% over her you can try and be friends. I for instance are still friends with all my exes, but it took time to get to that point and it is not always easy. In some cases old feelings start coming back, and makes the situation tricky, but as soon as these feelings come back just try thinking of what it was that went wrong and that you broke up for a reason.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah I initially thought that. I've already agreed to being friends and keeping in contact so if ignore her she may think I'm being a jerk. It wasn't a relationship id say id never do again because I definitely would although it was all just bad timing and unfortunate events.

• Okay in that case, continue talking to her and just see how things go. It might happen that one of you might get jealous when the other is starting to become interested in someone else and this will cause arguments, as soon as this happens, just tell her that the two of you should just stop speaking for a while until both of you are totally over each other. And maybe in the future things might work out for you again, but don't have the mentality that it definitely will. Just try to move on completely now because if it is meant to be it will happen and your relationship will just be stronger.

Most Helpful Guy

• Noooooo not a good idea at all. Just imagine if she suddenly gets another guy and you run into them at a random event and she decides to introduce you to this new guy because you're "friends" how would you HONESTLY feel about that?

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• It's usually best to be apart and not be friends until you're over her. When you're completely over her you can be friends again

0|1
    0|0
    • Thats what I thought too. I wanted to be friends and so does she. How do I break it to her that I want to be friends but not right now?

• Just tell her you need time before you can work on beig friends, im sure she'll understand

• I tried being friends with my ex and then I was like this just isn't going to work. So we just cut off all communication. I moved on the easiest way by just cutting him out of my life no friends or anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. I've been through this and it's just never the same just makes things MUCH worse..

0|0
    0|0
  • No, this is not possible. You can't get over someone and move on if they're still in your life. It would be nice if it worked that way, but it's just not realistic. With each ex I tried that, things eventually got so bad that we are no longer on speaking terms. I think there has to be a relatively long period of no contact at all more or less immediately after the break-up if you are truly and genuinely interested in a friendship with them later on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol. I recently tried that with my ex. He dumped me a month ago but we've always had an incredible connection and I just didn't want us to loose each other altogether... So we tried friendship. Didn't work cause you are forced wondering if today will be the day you get through to them or you'll be wondering who their talking to if not you, etc. When I realized that the friendship thing won't work, I kindly told him. So there's no hard feelings

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• No, tried it, just resulted in awkward guilty phone sex

0|1
    0|0
    • Oh okay. So even if the break up was mutual and not hurtful should you still steer clear?

• Yes, otherwise you're just still going to be attracted to her. Obviously she's hot in more ways than one.

But if you want a break you have to actually... break!

• Depends on if it was a fling or just something to do or if you fell in love...

Did she break your heart, or you hers?

If yes.. and you don't want her or she doesn't want you.. break all contact, never go to the same places and move on/let her move on.. it won't do either of you any good.. Trust me...

If it was a horny friendship that didn't go further.. perhaps you can remain friends...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes