Why do couples more frequently take a divorce now than the previous years?

add your thoughts on my question.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If you want my honest opinion I think it has to do with the culture that many have grown up with. I don't mean to sound like an old man, I enjoy womanizing rap music as much or more than the next guy but I really think it plays a role.

For example at any time you can turn on MTV and you'll see shows like "Teenage Mom" or some kind of "Real World Reality" show. These shows all show hooking up, cheating and other scandalous behavior as if it is normal or even something to strive for. All these beautiful people getting drunk, hooking up and then either moving on or picking up the phone to tell their distraught partner what happened the night before. I believe my society has grown up watching this shit and believe it's normal.

Same with the music. I mean you got songs about ****ing in the club, nobody has to know, keep it on the low, etc. Half the time you may not understand the lyrics but when you hear the songs 300+ times over their course I believe it makes its way into your subconscious. Everybody's doing it. He'll never find out. If he does than it's on to the next one. Whatever becomes an attitude many guys and girls my age both have.

I believe that's part of the reason it's very hard these days to find and have a truly trusting and loving relationship these days. Probably also has to do with why so many become divorced. Relationships are advertised as having a shelf life by the media and not as something to be treasured or nurtured but something that can be easily disposed of and replaced whenever it feels right.

It sucks but it's probably not going to get any better.

0|0
    0|0
    • according to your response to my question, i agree with you but i really want to mention that the majority of people (worldwide) don't think twice. it means that the lack of critical thinking blocks them to realize what's happening with their lives and let the mass media and the music industry find their solution for their problems.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

What Guys Said 7

• Because people getting married now days are less committed in the first place. They figure they wil try it and just leave if there are problems instead of working it out. If you enter marriage with the idea that it is a partnership that will have some problems, but you will stick with it through them, then you have a better chance of staying married.

0|0
    0|0
  • Divorce is more acceptable now than the pre WW2 era. More women have entered the workplace so they aren't financially reliant on a man anymore. Women used to have to stay in a marriage for money reasons.

Also you can now have no-fault divorce. Previously the only way to get a divorce was to prove spousal abuse or affairs.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because women can get a lot from divorce - at the expense of men losing everything they've worked hard for.

0|0
    0|1
  • Because they can. Legally it's easier. Prior to the 1970s it was difficult to divorce, especially for women, and required proof of grounds for divorce. Prior to the 20th century it required huge political connections to get a divorce approved and was for all intents and purposes illegal for common people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Higher expectations created by all the ads lead to bigger deceptions
    The economical crisis makes life more difficult for everyone==>more frustrations and conflicts.

0|0
    0|0
  • The divorce rate has been going down, but fewer people are getting married in the first place.

0|0
    0|1
    • I read fewer people are getting married but abortion is going down: less shotgun weddings , people are becoming more tolerant about unwed mothers. Unwed mothers don't figure in divorce stats when the guy just moves on to another babymama.

• Because the incentive to divorce is too high for women (who are money grabbing) to pass up.

0|1
    0|0
    • the money grabbing is something from the Fifties: HS drop out stay home moms marrying a guy who got his degree and made a career.
      For women who make their own career it's no benefit at all.

Recommended myTakes