Will he forget about me?

3 weeks ago my ex got drunk and extremely depressed (because his dad died last year - the long awaited depression) and broke up with me, the next day he asked for time and space. A week later, he ended it again, but proceeded to talk to me all that weekend and even met up with me. We agreed to do something the following weekend.
Last weekend he called me up telling me he missed me and we spoke of ways to fix the relationship and chatted how we normally do. We then spent the next day together, all loved up again, telling me he loves me and even ended up sleeping together.
He then went completely quiet on me, thus making me give him an ultimatum, he sadly didn't do what I asked and by the end of the week his Facebook was single, he'd removed all trace of the relationship and me. I'd heard from his friends that he feels bad, that there was no spark and he's back on a dating website!

I can't get my head around what our day spent together meant? is this his depression speaking?
Despite all this, I still want him back, but I seriously don't know what to do! I'm holding onto hope that him telling me he loved me and missed me might spark something if I don't contact him for a while.
I feel like he'll forget about me, turn his feelings off and start dating every girl under the sun! I don't know if this is normal for men? If it's a way of getting attention and filling the void?

10