Why can't guys just be honest?

So I knew where this relationship was going from the beginning even if I pretended not to and after 5 months I started noticing this guy I was seeing was doing things differently, you know what I mean. I knew immediately it was another girl. So to cut a long story short I gave him an opportunity to be honest with me without confronting him and he said to me he needs time to decide about our future together. Then a girl posted something on his Facebook thanking him for an amazing evening. I snapped. I commented. He phoned. He got angry, I started crying and long story short, he broke up with me over this comment instead of working things out, which is what serious couples would do, you know replace the lightbulb, not the house? He sent me a nice email and again I gave him a chance to be honest and again he wasn't. Its kind of obvious because she is posting romantic things which he is liking and vice versa, they went to school together so they have a history already, his profile pics have changed, he was up until late on Whatsapp every night when he never even did that with me! And then this post from her.

I called him a coward and again he has not been up front, instead completely blocking me on everything and saying that he doesn't even want to be friends so that when he eventually does find someone he doesn't want to hurt me. What happens if I found someone first? Just gave yourself away! He knows its going to happen any day now so he didn't want me to see it so soon.

From the beginning we promised each other we would be honest no matter how much it could hurt. This is not the first occasion a guy has done this, why is it so difficult for a guy just to be honest? It actually hurts me more knowing he is lying to me and thinking I'm that stupid, than what it would if he was just honest!

I'm not at an age where I can play games and I feel like time was wasted. So I just want to know why and how can I prevent it from happening again?

311

Most Helpful Guy

• Frankly, if guys would be honest 100% of a time, women would detest us.

At this point what did you expect to hear? "Honey, you're all nice and stuff and I totally like you, but I just got tired of the same pussy every day, but at the same time I don't want you to try another cock"?

I'm not saying that what he did is good, it is not okay to cheat. Why he continued to lie? As Goebbels said (damn, I cannot believe I actually quote him) "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth". Pretty much that was his strategy, but it didn't work with you.

On a side note: don't expect men to be totally honest all the time. Just trust my word, if we would be honest all the time (even when we approach you), you would hate us.

• Thank you. The thing is he was pretty honest about a lot of things from the beginning, and I think that's why it hurts so much because if he can be straight forward with a lot of the things he told me, then he could've been honest about this.

• In short: generally it's a bad idea to wait to have sex. I mean, you're 31, you're probably not a virgin for years now. Don't you like sex?

I'm not saying to jump into on a first date, but in general mature men (not some college students) usually expect something more private on a third date. When I was 18-20, I would wait for 2-3 months. Now I wouldn't wait for more than 2-3 weeks. I mean we're both adults and puberty-bullshit free, we both love sex and you already managed to get an idea what kind of person I am. If you keep dating me it surely means you like me, so what's the point in waiting? My boner won't get harder as I age, you know.

Sorry to say this, but yeah, you should've known better.

• Well I said we had done things already and he wanted to wait, he didn't want to give away everything in one go. I was ready, I truly was and he knew it and he couldn't come over due to a fall he had when I told him lets see how it goes. Its not like he didn't try but there was no real effort after that as "work was busy" and then another girl came in. And he was the one who said no sex the first date as it puts him off. We didn't. So I was following his lead.

Most Helpful Girl