Can a 12-year-old kid get in trouble by punching his stepmom?

My husband and I have a very rough marriage from the very beginning. I have raised his kids since they were 3 and 4 respectively. Fast forward to 8 years later, the marriage is getting a lot worse. It's literally hanging by a thread. My step son, a stout 12-year-old boy started giving me a hell of hard time, yesterday he even threatened to punch my face in front of 3 other kids. He looked like he really wanted to but was worried that he might get into trouble if he did. His dad came home and gently rebuked him. But out of curiosity, will he actually get into trouble if he did punch me? He is taller and bigger than I am. Not the smartest in his brood and pretty strong. Also, he couldn't wait for us to get a divorce. He must not know next time his dad might marry someone way worse than I am. lol

42

Most Helpful Girl

• Seriously talk to your husband, the kid can not behave like this. You must take your place, if the parents doesn't do the job, guess what you can. I grew up with both a step mum and a step dad and my sister and brother always treated them as shit because they knew they wouldn't do anything back because they were not their "real mum or dad". You have been married for 8 years with this man, so you're a part of that family. This kid will be a problem for every single one in the family. Do not let those shit kids come between you. You can not contol how they behave in their mums house, but you can set rules in you and your husbands house. Don't be afraid that they will hate you, this kid will get in trouble as older. Do yourself, your husband and the kid a big favor. Talk to your husband about his behavior and that if he does not take action you will, seriously. You haven't been in the family for some few years or month but since they was 3-4 they know you just as good as rest of the family. You can treat them like family, you can punish them and you can control them.

• Their mom died and I raised them and homeschooled them for years per my husband's wish. Later on, I couldn't take it anymore, and sent them to private school. I took them to YMCA swimming 3-4 times a week for years, took them to piano lesson. My husband wasn't even participating any of those activities. I don't think any stepmom could have done for for step kids. Yet, they complain because I am not sweet or always speak kindly to them. I am a step mom and my husband treats me like a free babysitter and sex toy, how much nicer am I supposed to treat his kids? He is just like that I have not done anything bad to them. After all those years staying home with the kids, he wants to say that everything we have is his and his kids'. You almost can't blame me to occasionally vent some frustrations on them. But I have been a very diligent caregiver to those step kids and have given up so many years of my life taking care of them. Never knew he was going to turn into this monstrous brat!

What Guys Said 2

• You'd have to call the police, but yes - it's assault.

• The little brat is acting more like s nasty husband to me than my step kid. He demanded me to do this and that and threatened to hit me and break my stuff; his dad has not even done this. He sees that his father doesn't respect me so there is no need for him to do so. I have done everything for those two kids in the past 8 years. Such ungrateful spoiled brat!

• Probably.

What Girls Said 3

• Why are you all letting this little shit run the household? His dad should have kicked his ass back into his mamas uterus for even threatening u like that. He acts like that because he has no respect and boundaries. That is assault and he could be put in juvenile detention center for that

• Because he is just copying his father, but even his father has not said or threatened me like his. He acts as if he's keep me in line when his father isn't around. I have brought him up since he was 4, taught him how to read, took him to everything that he attended, and even have him take private piano lessons... He is definitely an ungrateful spoiled brat. Every time he comes back from my mother-in-law's, he gets worse. He will even call his grandma to report me because I refused to check his grades online. What kind of crap is this?

• Yep, It's assault and i think 12 year olds are old enough to prosecute.

• Thanks. I was so shocked. My husband and I never got a good marriage. He even never threatened to punch me. To think this is the kid I helped raised since he was 5. I didn't know that little innocent chubby kid is going to wave his fists in front of me one day. Being a step mom is really not the best choice that I made.

• Well if any of them do hit you, I suggest calling the police.

• Have him put in freaking juvie or send away.
    That is BS!