Why do I feel sadness so long after a breakup?

Well about a year and a half ago, I broke up with a girl I was dating, because I wasn't happy. It wasn't a bad relationship at all; it was really good, but I wasn't happy. So I broke it off. I felt bad about it, but I got over it very quickly, which is odd.

At the current moment we're friends but I feel extremely sad about breaking up with her. She has a boyfriend and it really hurts to see them together. I'm wondering why I broke up with her I we had such a good relationship. I'm angry at myself.

It feels like I'm never going to be happy again without Her. :(

Why did it take me so long to feel these feelings? what can I do?

11