What does he want with me? Am I wasting my time? Please help?

Sorry I keep posting about this but I'm going through hell right now. My bf and I dated for a year and he was diagnosed with depression about 3 months into the relationship and went to therapy since then. We broke up over it first because he felt he couldn't be in a relationship, but we got back together and stayed together. Even though the depression fluctuated sometimes making him distant, we had an amazing relationship. We were each others first everything, were best friends, understood each other more than anyone. We were so in love. He broke up with me a few days ago because he's been in a rut for a few weeks and said he had been overthinking things like crazy. He said he was unable to be in a relationship and didn't love me. This was so out of nowhere. He even admitted that he couldn't think of a single problem with us, he just wasn't happy with anything. He said he cares about me more than anything and still sees me in his future, he's just so confused. I talked to his friend today (im close with his friends and they loved us together and didn't see this coming) and he said he told him that he does love me, I'm his best friend, he misses me, and there's no one else. But he can't be with anyone. He said he wants me in his life no matter what. But he won't see me right now because he said he knows if he does he'll want to get back together. But he told his friend he wants to try again when he's happy again. I said it seems like he is happy bc lately he's been with his friends all the time and stuff, and his friend said he isn't happier without me, he's just under less stress. He said I should give him space to sort out his depression. When my ex and I talked he was very friendly and nice, bc he said he did want to be friends. I don't know what to do. I feel like shit. I can't even explain how much I love him and he truly is the sweetest person in the world. He loves me, I'm his best friend, he cares about me more than anyone, but he doesn't want to be with me?
  • Once he becomes stable again he will come back, he loves you and wants to be with you but can't right now
  • He's being manipulative and not worth it

22

Most Helpful Guy

• I think he love you based on what you have said. But do understand that depression comes in many forms , the only similarities they share is they do not go away on their own nor do they just choose to come and go. A person can repress it to a certain point , well enough to hide it from some people. If he says he needs time to think about things allow him that but keep talking to him but don't pressure him to choose to remain in the relationship just remain his best friend that you are now. He will come around just allow him the time. I know it hard to be upbeat right now but if you can keep a positive upbeat attitude with him it will do wonders for helping him. I truly hope thing get better for you both

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I think he just needs some time to himself and to figure out what is going on in his head and he'll probably come back to you.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE